AP Psychology Summer Reading Assignment
Congratulations on your course selection of AP Psychology. You have made a wise yet demanding choice. You will have the opportunity to find out what makes people tick and have a better understanding of yourself as well. I have high expectations for this class and demand students who are willing to put in the required effort necessary to succeed. My goal is for every student enrolled in the class to take the AP Exam in May, giving them the chance to earn college credit. That requires dedication, enthusiasm, and hard work on both our parts. I will do my job and I expect you to do yours.
Below are the requirements for your summer assignments. Your summer assignments are all due on the first day of class!
I will be at the school on June 26th and July 24th from 11:30-12:30 for assistance with the summer assignments. We will meet in the LRC. If the LRC is under construction we will meet in the Guidance office. Please e-mail me or contact me via remind 101 prior to those dates if you plan on attending. Please bring your materials and questions.
Be sure to contact me with any questions.
Mrs. Bivins - firstname.lastname@example.org
Turnitin.com Enrollment Instructions:
If you do not have a turnitin.com account you must create one. Once you are in you must enroll in a class. Below is class id and enrollment password.
- Class ID: 15302205
- Enrollment Password: bivins
*Also be sure to sign up for remind 101 to get updates on meetings and quick reminders for our class. The remind 101 enrollment form is attached.
Assignment #1 - Approaches to Psychology (PowerPoint Format - submitted to turnitin.com by the first day of school)
For each Approach:
- Give a summary of each approach (1-2 Slides)
- Psychologists associated with the approach and their beliefs/theory (1-2 Slides)
- How the approach is used today - example of how the approach is incorporated into therapy (1-2 Slides)
- Apply the case study scenario given to each of the approaches. How would a psychologist using this approach treat the client? (An example is provided for you.) (1-2 slides)
*Be sure to do numbers 1-4 for each of the approaches listed below. You must go in order. You should not jump around.
- Biological (Neuroscience)
- Evolutionary (Darwinian)
- Socio-Cultural (Sociocultural)
Case Study Scenario:
James is a 17-year-old senior in high school. He is African American boy and he was adopted by his aunt and uncle because the court took custody away from his parents due to their drug habit. James lives in a small middle class community that is a majority white. Until his senior year, James earned A’s and B’s and had a good group of friends, now he is currently failing the majority of his classes. Eight months ago, James’s grandmother passed away. His uncle fell into a deep depression and began staying out all hours of the night at the local bar. Two months ago, James’s aunt told him that she was going to be divorcing his uncle and that he must choose who he wants to live with. James has since been ditching school and drinking a lot of alcohol and smoking marijuana. One of his friends convinced him to try meth and he now finds it hard to get through a week without using the drug. On the rare occasions that he does go to school he gets sent home for disruptive behavior. On one occasion the school called his Aunt to come get him from school because was intoxicated and clearly under the influence of a drug. Then, last week, James drove his car off the road on his way to school, hit a tree, and suffered a concussion. As of today James rarely hangs out with his friends anymore and his school attendance has rapidly declined. His aunt and uncle are at a loss as to what to do about James.
- You must have a minimum of 3 credible sources for this assignment (.org, .gov, .edu, Ebscohost, reputable magazines, Psychology Today, etc.
- Your last slide should be a works cited page in APA format.
- ***BEWARE OF PLAGIARISM - You are not allowed to just copy and paste information on your slide. It must be in your own words or cited from the source. Plagiarized assignments will earn no credit!
- Use APA format when doing your citation - See Perdue Owl for APA Citation help!
Assignment #2 – Article Review (Must be submitted to turnitin.com by the first day of school). Be ready to discuss your analysis of the article on the first day of class.
Read the attached article “What Makes Teens Tick” by Claudia Wallis
- Annotate & Sub search the article (you must attach your answers to the article)
- Type your answers the questions below. I expect your answers to be no less than a minimum of 4-5 sentences each. Be detailed and give specific examples form the article when needed.
- Summarize the article. The summary should identify the topic and provide enough specific information so that the reader understands the issue involved.
- What is the opinion/perspective/viewpoint of the author? Does the title influence the reader’s views?
- How does this issue of findings brought up in the article affect the field of psychology or human kind? Keep in mind the overall goal of psychology is improve the quality of human life through a deeper understanding of how the human body works and why humans behave a certain way.
- What does the author attribute to risky/bad teenage behavior? Please explain your answer.
- Does the author use research to support their claim about where risky/bad teenage behavior comes from? If so, describe the research?
- Which of the 7 Psychological perspectives (Biological, Evolutionary, Psychodynamic, Behavioral, Cognitive, Humanistic, and Socio-Cultural) does this author use to present their case? Please explain your answer.
- Do you agree with the author’s opinion about where risky/bad teenage behavior comes from? Explain why or why not.